Northern Ireland Reef Keepers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calcium, Mag and Alk/Dkh

2 posters

Go down

Calcium, Mag and Alk/Dkh Empty Calcium, Mag and Alk/Dkh

Post  reefkeepersni Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:16 am

back in April I started a new job working for a laboratory and quickly realised how much chemicals I had to hand. after a lot of hours spent in the lab developing different products I came up with the reefer's dream when it came to chemicals. First of all I can offer dosing/balling chemicals of all kinds without the big names and big prices. Reefing is a touchy subject with a lot of Do's and Don'ts and I for one use these products in my own tank and can honestly say that I have seen great growth in all my corals from my Sps to my Softies.The rule of thumb for me is to keep my Mag, Alk and calcium levels were they should be without them dropping or raising too much.Local pet stores charge over the top prices for a bottle of something that the general public use without any idea of what's inside. I guarantee my products will provide good growth and colours from your corals and as many people are pulling there Calcium reactors out and dosing now, Why would I do any different when I can get these products so cheap???
If you have any queries please visit www.reefrange.co.uk
reefkeepersni
reefkeepersni
Global Administrator
Global Administrator

Back to top Go down

Calcium, Mag and Alk/Dkh Empty Re: Calcium, Mag and Alk/Dkh

Post  reefkeepersni Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:20 am

First off Here what I did to begin my dosing.
When my frags were smaller and there were less of them my weekly water change was enough to maintain my para's but now everything is bigger they're eating up my calcium and Alk/DKH so here's what I did.
There is many ways that people dose chemicals (dosing or balling).
I used my own chemicals.
Calcium Chloride flakes for Calcium
and Sodium Bicarbonate for Alk/DKH.

I usually do a water change on a sunday so I did my water change and tested the tank the following day

Calcium = 360ppm (I want at 420ppm)
Alk/DKH = 7.7 with Salifert test kit ( I want 10 with The Salifert as its believed to be out by 2 ) Sea water is ALK 8.

So I wrote these down and worked out I needed my Calcium rasied by 60ppm (raising on 20ppm per day) and Alk/DKH raised by 2.3 (1 DKH per day) with Salifert test kit.

To get my Calcium raised in total I needed 99g of Calcium Chloride flakes for my 450 Litres system and Alk/DKH 32g of Sodium Bi Carbonate.
As 99g of calcium was enough for a 60ppm change i divided it by 3 to get the amount for 20ppm in one day.
I then mixed 33g with RO water and added throughout the day.
As 32g of Sodium Bi Carbonate was enough for 2.3 change I divided it by 3 to get around 0.7 change in one day.
I then mixed 11g with Ro Water and added throughout the day at a different time from the Calcium.

After 3 days I did my test again and I was bang on with the 2 para's at
Calcium = 420ppm
Alk/DKH = 10 with Salifert = a more accurate 8 ( I hope)

I then fined tuned my dosing to adding 2 spoonfuls of calcium everyday and 1 spoon of bi carb and now my para's remain stable and I'm starting to acheive the colours and growth I want from my Sps and other corals Smile

All my chemicals can be purchased from my products page here http://reefrange.co.uk/products.php

If you have any questions feel free to fire away.
reefkeepersni
reefkeepersni
Global Administrator
Global Administrator

Back to top Go down

Calcium, Mag and Alk/Dkh Empty balling kits

Post  tanisha247 Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:36 am

Hi
just bought your balling kit and im baffled at how to use it, it says to look on here for advice and instructions , but im missing what I need to know. Hope you can help.

thanks tanisha247

tanisha247
copepod
copepod

Back to top Go down

Post  reefkeepersni Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi
Sorry Im just getting back to you now as I was in a field trip abroad.
Where would you like to start with your balling kit?

Things seem complicated at the start but in a couple of weeks it will be very simple.
Firstly take a measuement of each mag, cal, dkh and in 1 week at the same time of day take another measurment as this will give us your tanks usage.
After we know what your usage is we can calculate the amount of each product you need to be dosing.
Any more qusetions please feel free to write here.
reefkeepersni
reefkeepersni
Global Administrator
Global Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down